Applications Open. Applications for 2022 are now open. The deadline for applications is Wednesday, June 30, 2021. Responses to applicants will be sent out by Saturday, July 31, 2021.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR ADMISSION TO 2022 CLASS
The Makerere Institute of Social Research launched its Interdisciplinary PhD in Social Studies in January, 2012. The five-year programme entails two years of coursework and three years of dissertation research and writing. Four broad themes define the program’s intellectual focus: Political Studies, Political Economy, Historical Studies, and Literary and Cultural Studies. Students specialize in one field, but take classes across all four. This allows students to be grounded theoretically, while also giving them a broad foundation in historically informed debates in the humanities and social sciences. In addition, there is a set of core courses with a focus on theory and historiography, required of all students. The courses are taught by MISR faculty, by faculty from other Makerere departments, and by prominent visiting scholars through the MISR Global Scholars Programme. With our tenth cohort of students well on their way, we are now accepting applications for our eleventh cohort, which will begin in January 2022.
The MISR Interdisciplinary MPhil/PhD programme is open to applicants who have earned a B.A. Upper Second or equivalent (students with lower than a B.A. Upper Second must demonstrate evidence of subsequent achievement such as publications or a postgraduate degree). Applicants who have a Masters or PhD are welcome to apply; however, all students must complete the entire programme, including two years of coursework, regardless of prior academic qualifications.
The fee structure is as follows:
- Ugandans/East Africans: 4 million Uganda Shillings per semester. East Africa includes: Ethiopia, Eritrea, Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, Djibouti, Congo, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Comoros, Mauritius, Madagascar.
- Students from outside East Africa: US$4,000 per semester.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Every applicant who is admitted will automatically be considered for financial aid. For scholarship applications please click here to download the form.
Application Procedure: Blended Online/Manual Applications using the new AIMS System
- Visit the Makerere University’s Admission URL http://admissions.mak.ac.ug and generate a payment Reference Number (PRN) by following the guide below.
- Makerere University Online Application Portal User-guide
- Applicants should Signup using full name(s), email and mobile number. Please note that your name(s) must be similar to the one(s) on your supporting academic documents.
- A password will be sent to both your e-mail and mobile phone contact.
- The system will prompt you change the password to the one you can easily remember.
- To fill a form, the applicant clicks on the “APPLY NOW” button displayed. Select the appropriate scheme. i.e. Postgraduate and Taught PhD.
- Obtain a PRN by clicking on “PAY FOR FORM” button
- Make payment to any of the following Banks
- Post Bank
- Centenary Bank
- DFCU Bank
- UBA Bank
- All applicants after payment of an application fee of Ugx50,000 (Ugandan applicants) or USD 60 (International Applicants) will have to submit to office 307; level 3 Senate Building or email scanned copies of the following documents to email@example.com:
- Printed 2 copies of the filled biodata form and attach 2 passport photos
- Relevant supporting certified copies of certificates and academic transcripts (2 copies),
- Letters from 3 referees
- 2 passport photos
For foreign applicants, application fees can be transferred either by EFT or any other means in UGX to a designated URA collection account in Bank of Uganda as follows:
Account Name: UGANDA REVENUE AUTHORITY COLLECTIONS
Account No: 003410158000002
Swift Code: UGBAUGKAU
The deadline for applications is Wenesday, June 30, 2021. Responses to applicants will be sent out by Saturday, July 31, 2021.
When you have finished your application please notify the PhD Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Alfred Masikye Namoah
For more information about the MISR PhD programme, or about MISR, please contact the Director of MISR at email@example.com.