Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Makerere Institute of Social Research, Makerere University, Kampala
Reports To: Administrator
ABOUT Makerere Institute of Social Research:
The Makerere Institute of Social Research (MISR) is a semi-autonomous teaching and research unit within Makerere University. MISR combines a 5-year course work based interdisciplinary MPhil/PhD program, launched in 2011, with a focused and rigorous research agenda based around four themes: Peace-building and State building Beyond Criminal Justice; The Land Question; Higher Education; and Sexuality and Gender.
The primary responsibility of this position is to implement administrative functions related to handling Makerere Institute of Social Research office procurements, assets management, and ensure a smooth work flow within the administrative unit of the organization.
- General Administration:
- Follow up all office and apartments maintenance issues and ensuring that they are addressed in a timely manner.
- Coordinate payments for services rendered to the unit in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ensure office premises are clean at all times and that offices, apartments and gardens are well maintained.
- Carryout cell phone recharge for staff on monthly basis, ensuring staff /student’s internet subscription fee is paid on time, and the service renewed to avoid any disruption.
- Ensure protection and safety equipment such as fire extinguishers and first aid kits in the premises, offices and apartments for both students and staff are installed, available and in functional order.
- Liaise with the Stores Manager to maintain office store and disposal of obsolete or scrap items when directed.
- Assist the Administrator in the preparation of any report related to office maintenance and utilities costs when required.
- Assist the Administrator in tracking staff sitting space allocation as per the updated staff list.
- Ensure to uplift the spirit of team work and provide support to all your colleagues
B. Procurement and Inventory Management:
- Support in sourcing for service providers, analyze prices submitted and ensure timely issuance of local purchase orders.
- Developing and maintaining cost effective, streamlined procedures and systems to achieve more efficient provision of goods and services.
- Ensuring that adequate security is in place to safeguard assets in the premises
- Negotiate with various stakeholders, suppliers and service providers
- Manage the filing system – both electronic and hard copies, by ensuring that all documents are well stored and easily retrieved
- Ensure that stock control system operates effectively and make timely re-ordering to ensure continuous supply of office Supplies
- Ensure that office equipment (photocopier, printers, Scanner & others operate efficiently with the support from the in-charge IT and make necessary requests for toners and report any faults for immediate attention.
C. Fixed Assets Handling – Recording:
- Maintain an accurate inventory of all MISR assets, ensuring proper numbering
- Ensure invoices, vouchers and all relevant purchase documents are filed.
- Print MISR property numbers on all assets at the time of acquisition
- Ensure that all assets are engraved prior to assigning them to staff/students
- Conduct physical verification of assets every six months in March and September, reconcile master inventory and report to the Administrator
- Advise foreign staff, students and international guests immigration requirements for in-country stay
- Provide support as needed to facilitate visa processing.
- Coordinate all visa requests for staff on official assignment and provide required support.
- Coordination with Stores, Director’s office, University Secretary, Procurement Unit on authorisation of procurements
- Verify all goods delivered at MISR
- Receive invoices from vendors and initiate processing of payment requests
- Receive goods received notes, delivery notes and initiate processing of payment requests
- Oversee stock records and ensure that they are updated on a regular basis to reflect the movement of goods
- Ensure that correct procedures and proper documentation is carried out by all personnel requesting items from stock.
Other responsibilities (not exhaustive)
The Administrative Assistant may perform other tasks assigned by his or her supervisor and perform other task which is commensurate with his or her level in the organisation
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
Internal to Organisation: Makerere University Staff
External to Organisation: Vendors, Contractors, and Service Providers
- Minimum of a Diploma in Accounting/Management or equivalent relevant experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills: demonstrated ability to interact professionally with clients and stakeholders
- Two (2) years work experience in similar position, preferably with private sector, international organisations or government with a good understanding of administration and finance
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Ability to assimilate and analyse situations, plus skill in handling unexpected situations
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet) required
- Desire to work effectively in a team oriented environment
NOTE: Please hand deliver your cover letter, cv with three work referees (names and contact information only) and copies of academic transcripts to the Assistant to Director for Administration and Accounts, Room B4, Makerere Institute of Social Research, Makerere University, next to the Faculty of Law by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, February 26, 2016.