CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR ADMISSION TO THE 2024 CLASS
The Academic Registrar, Makerere University invites applications for admission to the M.Phil/PhD in Social Studies Programme tenable at the Makerere Institute of Social Research. The Makerere Institute of Social Research launched its interdisciplinary Ph.D. in Social Studies in January 2012. The five-year program entails two years of coursework and three years of dissertation research and writing. Four broad themes define the program’s intellectual focus: political studies, political economy, historical studies, and literary and cultural studies. Students specialize in one field but take classes across all four. This allows students to be grounded theoretically while also giving them a broad foundation in historically informed debates in the humanities and social sciences. In addition, there is a set of core courses with a focus on theory and historiography that are required of all students. The courses are taught by MISR faculty, faculty from other Makerere departments, and prominent visiting scholars through the MISR Global Scholars Program. With our eleventh cohort of students well on their way, we are now accepting applications for our thirteenth cohort, which will begin in January 2024.
The MISR Interdisciplinary MPhil/Ph.D. programme is open to applicants who have earned a B.A. Upper Second or equivalent (students with less than a B.A. Upper Second must demonstrate evidence of academic maturity, such as a postgraduate diploma). Applicants who have a master's or Ph.D. are welcome to apply; however, all students must complete the entire programme, including two years of coursework, regardless of their prior academic qualifications.
The fee structure is as follows:
- Ugandans/East Africans: 4 million Uganda Shillings per semester. East Africa includes Ethiopia, Eritrea, Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, Djibouti, Congo, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Comoros, Mauritius, and Madagascar.
- Students from outside East Africa: US$4,000 per semester.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Every applicant who is admitted will automatically be considered for financial aid. For scholarship applications visit http://www.misr.mak.ac.ug/uploads/application.pdf.
MAKERERE UNIVERSITY ONLINE APPLICATION PORTAL USERGUIDE
- Visit the Makerere University’s Admissions URL https://apply.mak.ac.ug
- Sign up using full name, e-mail, and Mobile No. Please note that your name must be similar to the one on your supporting academic documents for your application to be considered valid.
- A password will be sent to both your e-mail and mobile number.
- The system will prompt you to change the password to the one you can easily remember.
- To fill a form (all form sections must be filled) the applicant clicks on the APPLY NOW button (for first-time applicants) or MY PORTAL button (for renewal of application) displayed on the appropriate scheme i.e. Taught PhDs, Masters & Postgrad Diplomas OR Ph.D. by Research.
- All academic transcripts/certificates and passport photos should be scanned and uploaded to the system.
- You can access the referees’ letter by following the following link: https://rgt.mak.ac.ug/sites/default/files/file-attachments/Referee-Letter-of-Recommendation-for-Admission-to-Graduate-Programme.pdf . These should be filled, scanned, and uploaded.
- Obtain a payment ref no. by clicking on the “Pay for Form” button
- Make payments at any of the banks used by URA. Application fee = Ugx 50,000 (East African applicants) or Ugx 151,500 (International Applicants)
- International students can make payments for admission via Visa. In order to make a payment via Visa/plastique, follow the detailed guidelines on the link below; https://news.mak.ac.ug/2021/09/how-to-pay-tuition-other-fees-to-ura-using-visa-mastercard
- Strictly observe the closing date of Friday, June 2, 2023. Responses to successful applicants will be sent out by Friday, June 23, 2023.
Please send an email notification to email@example.com once you have completed your application.
Prof. Buyinza Mukadasi