Job Title: Communications and Publications Coordinator
Location: Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
The Coordinator, Communication and Publications unit will direct the overall communications and publications strategy of the Makerere Institute of Social Research (MISR), with the goal of increasing the visibility, accessibility and reach of the institution, its work and activities. She/he will play a central role in advancing MISR’s mission by spearheading the Institute’s communications efforts, engagement with existing networks, and create bridges to new partners.
The Coordinator shall report to the Head Librarian and Executive Director, MISR
- Implement the communication strategy of MISR;
- Coordinate dissemination of publications, events, and research outputs to relevant stakeholders;
- Regular interfacing with supervisor regarding technical aspects of communications-related projects, including website design and functionality, email distribution list upgrades, content management, and in-house contact management tools;
- Monitoring usage of the Institute’s website using web analytics tools;
- Ensure high quality communication of the MISR program, including but not limited to preparing annual reports, newsletters, brochures, flyers, adverts, promotional videos and multi-media materials to support MISR’s internal and external communication efforts;
- Work with MISR management to ensure that all Institute staff are familiar with the Institute’s communications manual and procedures;
- Manage social media platforms and keep them updated;
- Create an interactive internal portal to increase interactions between research fellows, PhD fellows and MISR affiliates;
- Maintain interface with audiences important to MISR, including Makerere University academic staff, media, donors and civil society;
- Media publicity of all MISR events.
- Manage the print production of an array of research and institutional materials such as the Annual reports, Working Papers, The MISR Review, Policy Briefs, as well as the design and content of MISR’s brochures, letterheads, banners;
- Oversee editing, formatting, design, and printing of MISR’s publications;
- Ensure proper branding and publicizing of MISR’s programs, materials and activities;
- Showcase and market MISR publications at policy forums, exhibitions, conferences, seminars, bookshops, etc.’
- Disseminate MISR publications to higher education institutions, policy stakeholders, local grassroots actors and other relevant groups;
- Maintain updated record of receipt, distribution and sale of all MISR publications;
- Oversee photography and videography at conferences, seminars and other public events at MISR or related to the Institute;
- Produce record/reports of all MISR events.
- Support public events management, media coverage and stakeholder engagement;
- Liaise with presenters to ensure timely submission of papers for presentation at MISR seminars and workshops.
- Regular liaison with MISR administration with aim of strengthening the Communication and Publications Unit;
- Development of the Communications and Publications Unit budget;
- Any other duties as assigned by the Director.
- Degree (preferably master’s degree) in mass communication, public relations, journalism, or related field;
- Outstanding command of English Language;
- Proven writing and editing skills with detail and keenness.
- Five (5) years communication/publications experience, preferably in an academic institution or development field;
- Good understanding of conventional and new communications channels, including electronic, print, and social media;
- Strong computer, graphic design, organizational, analytical and assessment skills;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to meet deadlines under pressure.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send their applications, CV, transcripts and 2 sealed referee letters to the address below;
Makerere Institute of Social Research,
Makerere University, Wandegeya Kampala,
P.O. Box 16022, Wandegeya, Uganda
Or e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 15th January 2018